The London Welsh Festival of Male Choirs - Stand With Us (Sefwch Gyda Ni)
Thanks to all the choristers and their MD’s and accompanists who had worked incredibly hard and to the unbelievable talent of our Musical Director and Festival Conductor, Edward-Rhys Harry, who never fails to impress with his ability to get the very best out of choristers.
I was honoured and proud to share the stage with my son Danny McCann-Williams, a violinist with the Ulster orchestra, who had accepted Edward’s invitation to be Guest Leader of the Festival orchestra. Our choice of repertoire, although demanding, was very well received by a warm and appreciative capacity audience.
Included was Edward’s beautiful arrangement of Gweddi’r Arglwydd (The Lord’s Prayer) and his composition The Man We Never Knew adapted from an anonymous poem about an unknown soldier, especially appropriate this year as we commemorate the centenary of the start of WW1.
Another centenary was celebrated in 2014: that of the birth of Dylan Thomas, regarded as one of the great Welsh poets. We were delighted that Trefor Ellis, husband of Dylan’s late daughter, Aeronwy, agreed to join us on stage to recite an extract from Dylan’s work.
For this Festival choirs came from England, Wales and South Africa and for the first time from Norway and Sweden. We were joined by two young Welsh soloists, soprano Rhiannon Llewellyn and tenor Trystan Llyr Griffiths, fulfilling one of the Festival’s original aims to give prominence to up and coming Welsh musical talent. Joining us also for the first time, was the British Sinfonietta, one of the UK’s leading independent professional orchestras.
The superbly talented Annabel Thwaite worked tirelessly as pianist throughout the evening, accompanying both choir and soloists, and Robert Nicholls was the ‘Master’ of the Grand Albert Hall organ.
If after hearing this recording you’d like to join us again, then please check the choir website (www.londonwelshmvc.org) for updates on our 25th Festival in October 2016.
In the meantime, mwynhewch – enjoy!
- Gwinllan a Roddwyd i'm Gofal - Côr/Choir
- Divine Brahma - Côr/Choir
- Anfonaf Angel - Côr/Choir
- Mai - Rhiannon Llewellyn
- Rule the World - Côr/Choir
- Ar Hyd y Nos
- Working Man - Côr/Choir
- Arafa Don
- Morte Criste - Côr/Choir
- Can You Hear Me?
- Sarah - Côr/Choir
- Palladio - British Sinfonietta
- Prayer - Côr/Choir
- Steal Away - Côr/Choir & Trystan Llyr Griffiths
- Into the Fire - Côr/Choir
- Gweddi'r Arglwydd - Côr/Choir & Trystan Llyr Griffiths
- Love Unspoken - Rhiannon Llewellyn & Trystan Llyr Griffiths
- The Man We Never Knew - Côr/Choir
- Recitation from 'Under Milk Wood' - Read by Trefor Ellis
- Sunset Poem - Côr/Choir
- An American Trilogy - Côr/Choir
- Cadwyn o Emynau Cymreig (Price/Ellers/In Memoriam) - Côr/Choir
- Rachie - Côr/Choir
- Calon Lân - Côr a Chynulleidfa/Choir & Audience
- Hen Wlad fy Nhadau - Côr a Chynulleidfa/Choir & Audience
We Also Recommend
Caneuon Plygain a Llofft Stabal / Close Harmony Traditional Carol Singing